- On average 31% of all emissions from your house currently come from your central heating₁
- Backed by the government’s 2050 ‘net zero’ target – these emission figures need to reduce
- A big focus has been placed on the heating industry to find an alternative to natural gas fired heating systems…
…introducing Hydrogen Boilers!
Glow-worm has been Keeping Britain Glowing since 1934, adapting our products to suit new technology and gas types over the years – so we’re prepared to transition to hydrogen as soon as the industry is ready.
The current situation
- Trials have started to test the suitability of hydrogen in UK homes
- There is still a significant amount of infrastructure and testing which needs to happen
- How we create and store hydrogen in the most efficient and climate neutral way is a big focus too
20% hydrogen vs hydrogen-ready
- It’s all about the amount of hydrogen that will be introduced into the network
- 20% means a mixture of 20% hydrogen into the current gas network – saving around 7% CO2 emissions. This could be ready from 2023. Tests are underway to check all condensing boilers to make sure they perform correctly with this new mixture.
- 100% hydrogen would mean distributing 100% hydrogen using our existing gas pipe network. This replacement won’t happen overnight, in fact it will take many years. Hydrogen-ready boilers are undergoing manufacturer trials with the aim of availability from 2025.
When will I get hydrogen
- 100% Hydrogen will not see widescale availability for many years
- The UK requires the Government to set investment and infrastructure upgrades before delivery to homeowners can happen
- As soon as the infrastructure is ready, you can count on Glow-worm to deliver hydrogen boilers to suit your needs