Who qualifies for a Boiler Grant?
Check to see if you're eligible for the Government's Energy Company Obligation (ECO) programme.
The ECO4 scheme is a energy efficiency scheme created by the UK Government to help reduce fuel poverty and carbon emissions by funding initiatives such as free boiler grants.
To qualify for the boiler grant, applicants will have to meet the following:
- The existing boiler must be at least 8 years old.
- The property’s owner must be the person applying for the grant. Councils and privately-rented properties are not eligible.
- The property must be connected to the mains gas supply. Boilers running on other fuel sources, such as LPG gas, biomass, and oil are not included.
- The applicant must receive at least one of the government’s list of benefits.
The scheme runs from 1 April 2022 until 31 March 2026.
Who qualifies for a free boiler?
The criteria for receiving a free boiler grant are strict. In order to qualify applicants must receive at least one benefit from the following:
List of eligible benefits
|Pension Credit Guarantee||Income Support||Child Tax Benefit|
|Housing Benefit||*Child Benefit||Working Tax Credit|
|Pension Credit Savings||Income Related|
Employment and Support
|Warm Home Discount Scheme Rebate|
*To qualify through child benefits the applicant must fall within Ofgem's income thresholds:
|One child: £19,800||One child: £27,300|
|Two children: £24,600||Two children: £32,100|
|Three children: £29,400||Three children: £36,900|
|Four or more children: £34,200||Four or more children: £41,700|
If the applicant meets these criteria, they could be eligible to receive a free boiler as part of the ECO scheme.
- British Gas now includes - Peoples Energy, Together Energy and Bristol Energy
- EDF Energy now includes - Green Network and Utility Point
- Octopus Energy now includes - Avro Energy, Co-Operative Energy, and Flow Energy
- OVO Energy now includes - Economy Energy, Spark Energy, and SSE
- Scottish Power now includes - Extra Energy
- Shell Energy (formerly First Utility and formerly Hudson) now includes - Green Star and Pure Planet
- So Energy
- Utility Warehouse
Eligibility criteria and participating energy companies correct as of May 2022
The Affordable Warmth Obligation
As part of the Affordable Warmth Obligation, energy suppliers must install replacement boilers for free to households that meet the above criteria.
Although some applicants will receive a free boiler grant, a majority of households will obtain a grant that helps pay towards part of the cost of replacing a non-condensing or condensing boiler, as well as making other energy-saving improvements such as installing insulation.
The criteria for this scheme include receiving certain benefits and living in privately owned or rented properties and if the property has an energy rating of E, F or G. Individuals living in social housing are also eligible in some circumstances.
Boiler Grant FAQ's
How much is a boiler grant?
Can I get a boiler grant on PIP?
How do I get a boiler grant?
- The UK government’s ECO scheme is designed to help improve the energy efficiency of low-income households throughout boiler grants and other financial support.
- The list of criteria is long, with applicants needing to receive some form of relevant benefit as well as meeting the salary thresholds set by the government.
- The property itself must also fall within specific energy standards to be eligible, with the most energy-inefficient homes receiving the largest grants.
You can read more about ECO4 here.
Information correct as of May 2022.